Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Tomato relish.


This Christmas I will be filling the stockings of my nearest and dearest with homemade food items. This weekend I whipped up a batch of tomato relish, following an old family recipe. I can't share it with you, but I did find one that is quite similar here.

Having planted eight tomatoes plants a few months ago, I am now flooded with ripe tomatoes ready for picking. This causes a little trouble seeing that my dear hubby hates tomatoes, so there is no way we I am able to eat through them all. That's where tomato relish comes in...


My recipe calls for 3kg of tomatoes. I was able to provide this purely from my veggie garden (and yep this did make me feel kinda good!).


Here's a tip. If you need jars to store this sort of thing, but just don't have enough stockpiled, instead of buying empty jars from the supermarket (these were $2.45 each) try finding a food product sold in jars that you can store another way at home. For example, I purchased spaghetti sauce ($1.89), was able to transfer the sauce into bags and store in the freezer to be used later on. I was then left with six large jars which I washed, then sterilised in the oven. Here's a how to guide for steralising jars.


I transferred the hot mixture into the hot jars, sealed then left them standing on their lids to dry. This creates a seal.


Once cool I covered the lids with scraps of fabric cut into circles with pinking sheers, then secured with twine. I labelled each jar with homemade labels I found here. I simply opened the image in 'paint' and added the text in the space.


Sam xox

2 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! I really want to make some cookies in jars to give to people but not sure if I will have time this year. I feel like I have so much to do before Christmas and time is just running away from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great presents.

    But 8 tomato plants, wow! I had 4 last year and had way more tomatoes than I needed so dropped down to 3 this year.

    Spag bol made with fresh tomatoes is great too though.

    ReplyDelete